WISPAMERICA 2019 is coming to Cincinnati, Ohio and we, in the fixed wireless industry, just cannot wait.
For 3 days starting March 19th, Internet service providers, experts, consultants and leading vendors will congregate at the Duke Exhibition Center’s ballroom for training, networking and fun. Wispamerica 2019 is one of the two flagship events organized by WISPA every year. This year’s event will feature over 50 interactive sessions. Importantly, these sessions cover a diverse range of topics – technical, regulatory, business, marketing, HR and legal.
Furthermore, over 90+ Exhibitors are expected to showcase a wide range of wireless gear, tools and solutions to the attendees. It’s expected that this year’s event may just break all attendance records to date. And that’s saying a lot, given last year’s Wispamerica in Alabama had over 800 participants.
Beyond the formal sessions and exhibit hours, Wispamerica 2019 will start off on a bang given a variety of collocated training and events scheduled by different vendors. (Preseem will also hold a QoE Seminar on Mon, March 18. RSVP/More details here)
In addition to the business-related activities, don’t forget all the fun! It’s a gathering of Wireless ISPs after all. For instance, many vendors are planning activities including a games night to a VIP cruise (yes, a dinner cruise on the Ohio River on board the ‘Belle of Cincinnati’) among others.
Above all, Wispamerica 2019 promises to be a great time for ISP owners/ managers, employees and exhibitors, all included.
5 Must-attend Sessions at WISPAmerica 2019
WISPA is known to curate a variety of sessions in order to cater to the diverse needs of the participants. If you’re a startup WISP or representing your WISP on your own, it’s not humanely possible to attend all the sessions. Therefore, based on our past experience at WISPA shows and feedback from other WISPs, we list down some must-attend sessions at this year’s event.
Full schedule and event participation options is available on WISPA’s website here.
1. Advanced tech: Rolling out IPV6
- When: Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 3.45 – 4.45 pm (Session 2)
- Why: With IPv4 out of available IP addresses and the mega capacity of IPv6 to allocate IP addresses to a growing web world, it’s extremely important for ISPs to manage the transition. Predicting future demand and ensuring that your network is capable of working with IPv6 are other important considerations. Above all, this session will share important info on how ISPs can roll out IPv6 and should be an interesting one to attend.
2. Regulatory: Connect America Fund Update: Phase II, A-CAM and Phase III
- When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 8.00 – 9.15 am (Session 3)
- Why: Connect America Fund phase II had a large number of WISPs win huge amounts of government funding to roll out high speed broadband internet to rural America. While any government funding project has its pros and cons for the industry, this is nevertheless very consequential given the amounts of money involved. This sessions shall highlight latest updates on CAF funding and future rounds as well. For any fast-growing WISP looking at government for funding, this shall provide good insights.
3. Business: Scaling your WISP
- When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 9.45 – 10.45 am (Session 3)
- Why: Starting a WISP is hard. Yes, we know that. However, ask any WISP with 100-500 subscribers and they’ll tell you the biggest pain point is scaling up. In other words, how do you go from ‘a few subscribers’ to a full-fledged business providing internet and other services. This session at Wispamerica 2019 shall have tips and tricks shared by other WISPs who have gone through the scale-up journey before. And this should be a must-attend for anyone in the ‘high-growth’ phase.
4. Business/Finance: Grants vs. Debts from Executive View (Funding)
- When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 2.15 – 3.15 pm (Session 5)
- Why: Rural broadband growth is a known government priority. As more and more government agencies announce ambitious funding plans, it’s imperative for service providers to weigh such opportunities against more traditional sources of funding including debt. In this session, WISPs and experts will share how grants stack up against debts from a top-management/ executive level and should be a good one.
5. Marketing – Cool Marketing Tools to help you succeed
- When: Thursday, March 21, 2019, 9.45 – 10.45 am (Session 8)
- Why: Marketing is one of the core functions for any business or ISP’s growth. Most WISPs, as they grow, spend a lot of time on the network and keeping-everything-running-side of the business. This impacts long-term growth and the business’s ability to outshine competition. Such owners/network managers realize that after they have established the basic infrastructure, getting customers signed on isn’t trivial. This session should offer a good insight into some of the marketing tools used by other ISPs in succeeding as a business.
Also, Exhibit Hall Reception
- When: Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 4.45 pm – 6.45 pm
- Why: Wispamerica 2019’s exhibit hall was sold out over 2 months ago. It’s packed with over 90 exhibitors ready to showcase their products and services to the industry. Beyond exhibitors gaining valuable feedback and potential sales from such shows, it’s interesting for participants/ WISP owners as well. You get a chance to voice your feedback and potential product development ideas as well as establish long-term relationships. These are known to help as you grow your business and secure advance offers, special conditions as well as beta access to cutting-edge developments. In conclusion – Don’t miss this one (there’s delicious food and drinks to go with, as well)
If this is your first time attending a WISPA show, don’t forget to
- pack comfortable shoes (there’s a lot of walking)
- attend as many sessions as possible
- participate in all informal/owner networking sessions (it can be at restaurants, in the lobby or a bar!)
- have fun!
If you’re interested to know more about QoE monitoring and optimization for your network, make your way to Booth # 104 in the Exhibit Hall during WISPAmerica 2019 (Tuesday, March 19th-Thursday, 21st March 2019). You can also book a private meeting (outside the exhibit hours) by clicking here.
If you like this post, please help us by sharing it with your network by using the icons here