WISPAmerica, one of the flagship annual events hosted by Wireless Internet Service Providers Association (WISPA) is returning for its 6th year, this time in Birmingham, Alabama during March 6th-9th, 2018. Riding high on the grad success of WISPApalooza 2017 which saw a record breaking participation of over 1800 attendees, WISPAmerica 2018 is also expected to break new grounds when it comes to attendees. The 3-day event will see participation of internet service providers, industry experts, consultants and over 85+ exhibitors with the latest product and service innovations for the fixed wireless industry.
Scheduled to be held at the beautiful Hotel Sheraton Birmingham, WISPAmerica 2018 will feature a main conference and exhibition hall as well as numerous collocated events and training sessions by equipment manufacturers, tower climbing service providers and other sponsors.
The packed conference agenda includes over 28 training sessions across technical, business, regulatory, marketing, HR, finance and other functional aspects of running a WISP business. Throw in some unique animal farm sessions sponsored by leading vendors and you have a full worthy schedule that’s almost hard to catch up with!
While all the sessions are very well planed and cater to a unique aspect of the WISP business, it’s not always practical for one person or a small team attending the event to be at all the events at the same time. That’s why we spent some time going through the full schedule in detail and listing down some must-attend sessions based on the current market trends and our experience within the fixed wireless community. Full schedule and event participation options, for those interested, is available on WISPA’s website here.
5 Must-attend Sessions at WISPAmerica 2018
1. Business: Is LTE the right technology for you?
- When: Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 2.15 – 3.15 pm (Session 1)
- Why: With all the buzz in the fixed wireless industry around LTE and latest product innovations by equipment vendors, this is a question on top of almost all operators these days. As such, WISPA plans to drill down into the conversation and highlight the best use cases for LTE technology for its members and participants.
2. Advanced Tech: Advanced Quality of Experience (QoE)
- When: Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 2.15 – 3.15 pm (Session 1)
- Why: With the growing competition in the fixed wireless industry and the onset of new services by large established telcos like AT&T, it’s critical for WISPs to understand how QoE delivered by their network impacts their subscribers and is directly related to their profitability and growth. Dan Siemon, co-founder, Preseem will be on the panel for this one and his insights on the latest in QoE monitoring and optimization are hard to miss, especially on topics like plan enforcement and managing high-bandwidth applications effectively.
3. Marketing: Grow Your Business with Guerrilla Marketing
- When: Tuesday, March 06, 2018, 3.45 pm – 4.45 pm (Session 2)
- Why: Pay-per-click ads, Facebook, Twitter marketing, Banners, Road shows, Flyers, Print ads and what not? As marketing channels expand by the day, so does the complexity. With growing competition within each channel, it’s getting harder and harder to stand out as a service provider. Enters Guerrilla marketing – innovative, unconventional and low-cost techniques to obtain maximum exposure. Whether this is door hangers with tested speeds during survey or an in-mall promotion, it’s a great opportunity to learn how other ISPs use unconventional techniques to grow their business.
4. Business: OTHER WAYS TO MAKE MONEY — BACKUPS, VOIP, MAIL SERVERS, IPTV
- When: Wednesday, March 07, 2018, 8.00 am – 9.15 am (Session 3)
- Why: With the ever-growing pressure on an ISP’s ARPU (Average Revenue Per User) through just the broadband services, many WISPs have grown their business on the back of established value-added services like VoIP, mail servers, IPTV and others. This session seeks to identify many such avenues for service providers to diversify their service base, offer newer and advanced solutions to their customers which contribute to their per-user as well as overall profitability.
5. Regulatory: Net Neutrality Now: Enforcement and Compliance after Title II
- When: Thursday, March 08, 2018, 9.45 am – 10.45 am
- Why: With the FCC voting in favor of repealing Obama-era policies on Net Neutrality, the topic has one of the most hotly contested one involving not only the service providers and political agencies but celeb. From a wireless ISP perspective, it’s critical to understand how this impacts your network from an operational point of view and this session seeks to clarify the changes and discuss impact.
Also, Exhibit Hall Reception
- When: Wednesday, March 07, 2018, 4.45 pm – 6.45pm
- Why: With over 85+ exhibitors displaying the latest products and services for the fixed wireless industry at the show, you just cannot miss this reception. It gives you an opportunity to not only learn about the new products and take product literature but it’s a first-hand opportunity to strike personal relationships with key staff at the vendor companies. Such relationships are known to lead to customized offers, faster support and an overall beneficial professional alliance for years to come.
Beyond all the sessions, exhibit hall events and collocated training, there are even more opportunities to network with industry movers and shakers at WISPAmerica 2018 during the lunch hours, speed dating events, hospitality suites and social gatherings hosted by vendor companies. If this is your first time, you’ll realize that many unofficial events lead to long lasting friendships and business alliances! If and only if you’re able to find some downtime, you can always go around the city of Birmingham and act all touristy! The city has definitely has a lot to offer in terms of historical landmarks and some popular restaurants. Check out this for more.
If you’re interested to know more about QoE monitoring and optimization for your network, make your way to Booth # 419 in the Exhibit Hall during WISPAmerica 2018 (Tuesday, March 6th-Thursday, 8th March 2018). You can also book a private meeting (outside the exhibit hours) by clicking here.
If you like this post, please help us by sharing it with your network by using the icons here